Friday 26 August 2011

Maths GCSE. It all adds up at any age...

You probably read about the six-year-old girl, who gained an 'E' grade at GCSE mathematics, when the results were published yesterday.

Good for her. It has taken me a lifetime of avoiding maths and being taken for a 'duffer' at everything else; before 'confronting one of my demons' and sitting my Maths GCSE for the first time in June.

Of course, now that I have passed; at the requisite 'C or above' grade; I can say, as many young people do, that I could have got a higher grade. Yes, I could have got a higher grade, had I done more work; and also if I'd taken the course over the recommended two years instead of the one which I'd set aside.

Still, the good thing about my grading, is that I never ever have to do Maths again if I don't want to.

However, the little girl who got an 'E' grade still has to continue with, what she admits, is not'her favourite subject'. She will need to get that magic 'C' grade in order to give up the subject completely, like me. Or to pursue her other ambitions.  With her current track record, she could be on course to get an 'A' or a starred 'A' before she is very much older; unless she goes off the subject entirely. Which I would not recommend; otherwise she could find herself in my position.

Still, never too late as they say....






4 comments:

Virtual Linguist said...

Congratulations! Well done!

taffdancer said...

Thanks very much Sue.

Virtual Linguist said...

Now you've got your maths under your belt, you can resume your Welsh studies that you started at school too!

taffdancer said...

That's a very good idea Sue. I might just do that. I've done a quick search and see that they do classes at the City Lit. Fancy coming along with me?

Diolch yn fawr - Sue