Monday 24 October 2011

Mary Queen of Flops...

There's a very irritating woman on the telly at the moment who is so up her own surname it's just unbelievable!

She is on a mission to 'dress the older woman'; and is, condescendingly, visiting 'beyond the pale' places such as Guildford (which I LOVE thank you very much); in order to prise such women away from their comfort zone shops such as M&S and other middle-class, middle-aged fashion outlets. This arrogant, egotistical woman is telling us we have a choice between 'frumpy' (like your granny) or 'frivolous' (so that you have to pretend you are buying stuff for your daughter).

Well, let me tell you Mary, Mary; on the contrary:  There are actually a lot of really nice shops out there; staffed by really nice, polite people. And, in these recessionary times, they are falling over themselves to serve us.

So why should we go anywhere near a shop which has anything to do with such an outrageously rude and overbearing ginger monster?

2 comments:

Virtual Linguist said...

Very good post! I've seen the Mary Portas range in House of Fraser, Guildford, and I think it's very overpriced - £80 for satiny (not even leather) Clarks sandals.

taffdancer said...

Thanks for the Comment Virtual Linguist. Your research confirms what I suspected. This TV programme is marketing hype masquerading as entertainment. Why do I resent this so much? I think it's because I know that when M&S or John Lewis (for example) deliver us an advertising message; at least they are paying to do so. And if it entertains us at the same time, well I consider that a bonus. When it's the other way around and we are paying a license fee (or even internet rental etc.) to watch advertising, it just makes me angry.