Monday 25 June 2018

Blue stocking blues...


When they hand hand me my degree

When they hand me my degree
What a pleasure it will be
No-one then will feel like mocking
My brilliant, shimmering, bright blue stockings
I’ll show them I’m my mother’s daughter
And that this is all that I have fought for
Just to take my rightful place
In among the human race
Everyone around will smile
And will recognize the miles
I’ve come
On that day, the sun will shine
And oh! What glory will be mine
Beneath those scholarly black robes
This girl’s legs will be like strobes
From any disco floor
Bright blue stockings – yes sirree!
With stripes of luminosity
Notwithstanding all the others
I will pass with flying colours! 

5 comments:

taffdancer said...

Aah if only this were true! It would seem that 'blue stockings' are still a badge of derision in some quarters. However, I still consider them to be a 'badge of honour' for everything I have gone through to get to where I am today!

Virtual Linguist said...

Not just a badge of derision. Maybe something even worse -- many people, especially young people, are ignorant of the term 'blue stocking', and so have never given the significance a thought.

Sandra said...

Congratulations on the degree and the poetry. SANDRA, in west Wales

Virtual Linguist said...

The noun "bluestocking" was first used in the mid-18th century. Here's a post I wrote on it.
http://virtuallinguist.typepad.com/the_virtual_linguist/2008/09/dr-johnson.html

taffdancer said...

Yes. It's sad. Incidentally, if people want to read more about the history of 'Blue Stockings' they could look at the post by 'Virtual Linguist'back in September 2008. It's under a post about Dr Johnson - so just put that in the search on the Virtual Linguist blog. Enjoy!