Tuesday 3 January 2012

The first minute - the first hour - the first day of the new working year. Make it count.

This morning, I had no appointments, no deadlines, no train, bus or 'plane to catch; and no office I needed to get to. How lucky is that when the weather is as foul as it is this morning? It would have been so easy to stay in bed until noon, with the rain beating down and the high winds (both of which are forecast to be with us for the day).

On days such as these, I sometimes make a call to a friend or relative - and I will probably do so after I've done this post.

However, I wanted my post to be able to reach anyone I know who has had to start their working year this morning by getting to work on public transport.

This morning must have been really tough. First the getting there; and now sitting contemplating all that work that awaits you. Or the uncertainty of not knowing what is going to be expected of you.

I was trying to feel your pain as I lay in bed in the warm, enjoying a duvet morning. That is what made me get up and write this post. I wanted to have it done and online - ready for when you got to the office.

I hope this is the first email you open - or one of the first.

To wish you a very Happy and Prosperous New Year

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year! This blog has been one of the first e-mails I opened today. Although we experienced high winds last night my drive into work was an easy 16 mile drive. I drive along the west Wales coast and seeing the waves, the white water and the beautiful mountains of north Wales in the distance never ceases to excite me as well as remind me how insignificant we humans are. Those who take public transport in west Wales would also experience the same wonderful views. So no pain felt this morning and I receive a paycheque at the end of the month!

taffdancer said...

Thank you so much anonymous! Your comment made my efforts this morning worthwhile. I am still looking out of the window at gale force winds and notice that a tree in our garden has fallen down! Nevertheless, I also feel no pain at this moment in time; so am feeling very grateful. I agree - the paycheque at the end of the month must make it all worthwhile!

Kim said...

I must be a strange person as the wild weather makes me feel energetic, been to the gym, been a housework demon, washed away the whole day ..all inside though so perhaps this does not count.

taffdancer said...

Of course it counts! Everything counts! I think the weather must have an effect on everyone really - even if they don't admit it. After all those high winds yesterday morning, the scene this morning as I look out of the window is very calm and tranquil, with no trace of yesterday's blustery winds. However, the sky is looking very red. My mother would say 'Red sky in the morning, sailor's warning' - which is probably just as good as the weather forecast these days. Anyway, Kim, glad you are feeling so energetic!