Wednesday 4 January 2012

More energy, joy, peace and satisfaction in life...

Someone from the health club to which I belong sends me a motivational missive now and then. (I'm going to save you the expensive membership subscription by sharing it with you after I've had my little 'say')

It makes me realize that I should be at the health club instead of sitting on the sofa or at the computer; so maybe the 'nagging' works at some level. It makes me wonder about motivation, though. What makes us do what we do - either grudgingly, willingly; or with enthusiasm, energy and even passion? It's a question I've been addressing quite seriously over the festive period. It's led me to changing the subject matter of my blog. I want to make it more personal and relevant and, by this means, will hope to attract more interest and participation from my readers.

I was delighted with the response to my blog post yesterday. You can see some of them by clicking the 'comments' tag at the bottom of yesterday's post. Some people commented by email because they found the mechanism for leaving a comment too complicated. I'm going to look into that. Perhaps I should change to another blog provider with a clearer system?  Or perhaps I need some lessons on how to use this one more effectively. Anyway, I am 'open to the universe to teach me' (as they say in some of those self-help books).

Talking of 'self help' books, my son and his girlfriend gave me a really interesting one for Christmas. I'll tell you about it in my next post. In the meantime, here's that motivational missive:


A new year is a great time to reset your body clock, re-calibrate your settings, and re-chart your life course. There’s something motivating about using a fresh calendar to make new goals in your life. Take a moment to reflect on the past and look forward to a healthy future!
 
Healthy Lifestyle Tip: The Gift of Reflection
Reflecting on the past year is a good way to clear the path for the new year. Reflection allows us to let go of the restraints that can hold us back and think of new strategies to move forward based on the strengths associated with our accomplishments.
 
The benefits of the end of the year review offer us "lessons learned" from those situations that may have not turned out as we might had hoped and those that did. Something is always working in our favour – we just need to discover what it is.
 
Here are 20 questions that can get you started on your end of year review:
  • What were my resolutions or goals for 2011?
  • What were my greatest accomplishments for 2011 that I am most proud of?
  • Now, what was one more?
  • What are the actions I took to achieve these accomplishments?
  • What strengths enabled me to be able to take these actions?
  • How can I apply these strengths to move forward in 2012?
  • What did I intend to do in 2011 that did not get done?
  • What were the biggest challenges or barriers I faced in 2011 that contributed to not accomplishing everything I wanted?
  • How did I deal with each of these?
  • Where do I get my strength to overcome barriers?
  • How have I grown from these accomplishments and challenges?
  • What am I most grateful for as I reflect back on the year?
  • What have I learned?
  • Who are my greatest supporters or support systems that I can rely on as I move forward?
  • How can I show my gratitude and appreciation to those who have supported me?
  • What would I like to be different in the upcoming year?
  • What would it feel like to experience this difference?
  • What am I willing to do to make this change a reality?
  • What barriers do I anticipate and what strategies can I put into place to overcome these barriers?
  • What is the first step I need to take to get closer to my goals?
    Source: examiner.com

2 comments:

Sandra said...

This has been a helpful list - it has helped remind me that I actually did a lot last year and now need to build on my successes.
Thank you for posting the blog Sue.

taffdancer said...

Yes. You did do a lot last year! Thank you for your comments Sandra. They motivate me to continue writing the blog; and trying to find ways to improve it.